Monday, April 30, 2012

Fighting Wars and Poverty…

On the way from the Vantaa airport to my hotel, the streets were busy and the shopping centers on both the sides of the road were crowded. I could not believe that this city has undergone severe adverse conditions as wars, poverty and plague. From all the adverse conditions the capital city of Finland has come up strongly and now it is thriving as one of the most developed business centers in the world. When I reached here in one of the cheap flights to Helsinki I never expected such a developed city. The things I read in many books about Helsinki were totally different.

Being the capital city, we preferred it as our head quarter for our company’s business activities in Finland. My trip was in connection with that proposal. After a course of hard work in searching cheap plane fares and bargaining for best airfares, I reached here at last to start my work. As it was the initial stages, there were not much work apart from meeting some of the existing customers and a few real estate agents to find out a place for starting our office. This helped me to see the city and the experience was so thrilling one.

The city is spread across a number of bays and has a long coastline too. It includes several islands too. Korkeasaari Island is the most attractive one among those islands. It houses the country’s biggest zoo. I spent almost a day inside the zoo enjoying the clear atmosphere and watching many rare species of birds and animals. From there I went to another island by boat. The boat journey was something unforgettable as we were travelling straight opposite to the setting sun. It seemed to be a journey to the horizon. When we reached the Island Soumenlinna Island, I came to know that this is also a most important place to visit. This island has been announced as a world heritage site and there were many tourists wandering around the long corridors of the century old fortress situated in that island. Most of the tourists are coming to see this fortress and the number of visitors is increasing every year. Almost all airlines are operating flights to Helsinki and this helps the visitors to get the flight tickets easily.

Helsinki Central Park which is narrow and almost 10 kilometer in length is another attraction for foreign tourists as well as the denizens. Various recreational activities were going on there when I visited. The greenery around and the clean lawns gives us relief from the busy world outside. I have seen many couples sitting beneath trees and enjoying their private moments.

Pihlajasaari Island was another place I went. It is a favorite spot for naturists during summer. The eye catching scenery is something that helps you to forget all your worries. Once the airlines started issuing cheap tickets to Helsinki, this island started receiving more tourists in summer. When I returned after finishing my job, I had a feeling that I could not spend enough time here. I am planning now to visit this city once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment