Monday, May 28, 2012

A nostalgic tour of New York

On receiving the invitation from my cousin to join her for her convocation at New York, I was overjoyed. New York is one place I always wanted to set my foot on. So grabbing the opportunity, I checked out on the cheap flights to New York City.

New York being the epicenter of the US economy is served by 3 airports-JFK, Newark and La Guardia thronged by cheap flights. Delta, Jet Blue and United Airlines are but some of the airlines I tried a getting ticket on.

New York Attractions

Having secured accommodation in a good hotel, I now set out on exploring the attractions of this beautiful city.

Statue of Liberty

Flights to New York City always give a glimpse of this iconic landmark. But to get the true feel of its magnificence, I took a ferry to Liberty Island. I strolled around the promenade and park and clicked some great shots.

Empire State Building

Standing atop the 1,453 ft Empire State Building made me feel on top of the World. The spectacular view and the visit to the Observatory made the trip more special. Hard to believe that this gift from France was shipped as 350 pieces and put together in 4 months.

Rockfeller Center

The Rockfeller center in Mid-town Manhattan is the vital shopping and dining hub of New York. Shops like Coach, Tumi, Metropolitan Museum store and eateries like Rainbow Room, Sea Grill and Two Boots give you a sample of the New York lifestyle. I also watched kids on the skating rink and dropped in at the Radio City Music Hall.

American Museum of Natural History

This was one place I longed to visit after watching “Night at the Museum”. The Rose Center Planetarium was another added attraction and the unique exhibits made the trip enlightening.

Central Park

Now for some leisure- I made a visit to the Central Park where I enjoyed a boat ride and also a Carousel ride like a kid. The Central Park Zoo was another baby’s day out for me.

Things to do at New York City

What about some rambling and roaming in New York?-let’s try it, I thought.

Time Warner Center

The renowned Time Center may be just a mall to some. But anyone on cheap tickets to New York City will never miss this busy hub. Be it listening to jazz at Dizzy’s Club Coca Cola or dining at Takayama Sushi Restaurant or just relaxing at the 56th Stone Rose Lounge – this place has a New York Feel.

West Village

I couldn’t believe this calm cobble- stoned, tree-lined neighborhood to be part of New York. But a stroll in this area with a peep into the Magnolia Bakery, Jefferson Market Courthouse and Spotted Pig Gastropub satisfied my curiosity.

Film Forum

For a film-buff like me, this place was the Mecca. I was glad to see a healthy mix of the arty, unusual, foreign and regular popcorn flicks – but what an awesome range to choose from?

A lot more is in store in New York but I had booked my airline tickets and so I planned to return for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment