Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Travel to one of the oldest cities - Athens

My parents are historians by profession. As a part of their job they have to visit various exotic locations that are significant from history point of view. Sometimes, even I get a chance to accompany them and learn something about the destination visited. This year, they decided to visit Athens and coincidentally, my vacations were due to start, so I also decided to go along with them. In my history books, I had read a lot about this city. Capital of Greece, this city dates back to about 3400 years. My curiosity increased and I started reading reference books to know more about this place where we were about to go. My father started looking for inexpensive flight tickets. He came to know that since many flights to Athens are available these days, so booking cheap airline ticket will not going to be challenging. We booked our tickets on Turkish Airlines.
Soon we were off to this awesome destination. The day we reached, we decided to rest in our hotel that was centrally located in the city. Many major tourist attractions were easily accessible from this place. Next morning, the first attraction visited by us was the Parthenon. This is a fine example of architectural splendor. Hats off to Greeks who built this magnificent structure! As soon as I saw this building, I fell in love with it. The sheer beauty of this building is awe-inspiring. My parents had already planned to visit the National Archeological Museum. Though, I am not a big fan of archeology, I decided to tag along them after visiting Parthenon. One of the greatest museums in the world, this museum displays thousands of exhibits. Some of them are related to pottery and some with the jewelry. Several sculptures, some of them about 200 years old are also displayed here. I came back with a treasure trove of information about this beautiful place.

In the evening, we decided to visit the Agora-Athens Central Market. My mother was mesmerized to see so many products being sold at cost effective prices. She set upon shopping spree as she had to buy souvenirs and little nothings for every family member and acquaintance back home as a sweet remembrance of our visit to this city.

Next day, my father took me to Mount Lycabettus for a hiking expedition. From the apex of the mountain, we saw stunning views of the city. Cheap flights to Athens offers a chance to visit this beautiful place to many visitors coming here. In the evening, we enjoyed a stroll in the Plaka neighborhood. The night life in this city is full of fun and excitement. Availability of cheap tickets to Athens brings a large number of visitors enjoying this beautiful city. We came back with fond memories to cherish forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment