Monday, June 18, 2012

Celebrating Vinayaka, the God with Elephant Head

India has become the largest consumer market in the world with its large population and the steady growth in its economy. Almost all global brands have a strong presence in India. Hence we also decided to start our operations in India. When anybody thinks about doing business in India the first city comes to their mind will be Mumbai. It is the financial capital on India and almost all companies operating in India will be based at this city. We were also not different from them and decided to start an office there. When the responsibility fell on me, I was quite surprised. I have read many books on Indian Mythology during my school and college days and the different Gods and Goddesses have really taken me to some other world. Now I am going to be there with them for a few days.

I started my search for best airline tickets as soon as I got the intimation from my head office regarding my Mumbai trip. Being an important city in the region almost all international airlines including British Airways and Air France are operating flights to Mumbai. Hence the flight tickets are easily available. Many airlines are also operating cheap flights to Mumbai and I have booked my ticket in one such cheap airline.

India is a wonderful country with lot of different languages and different cultures. Mumbai is a miniature of India with this diversity in culture and arts. There are many bars and pubs where you can see a lot of youngsters enjoying the music and dances. At the same time you can see another lot of youngsters enjoying the traditional art at some venue.

The city also houses the largest film industry in the world which produces more than hundred films in a year. Thus it has become the hometown for many film personalities. I could enjoy different cultures of Mumbai in a few days of my arrival. As in the case of culture the food and beverages of the denizens also differ from person to person. From the South Indian Foods, even the continental and Chinese dishes are available in the city.

The most astonishing experience of my Mumbai trip was that I could participate in the Vinayaka Festival. Vinayaka, is a God with an elephant face according to Hindu Mythology, during this festival people will keep huge idols of this God at many public places. Along with the religious rituals there will be many cultural programs also at these venues. It is a ten day festival and at the end of the festival, on the 11the day these idols will take to the seashore in a huge procession. Thousands of people will participate in this procession. They will spray colors on everybody’s face and the people in the procession will be dancing all the way to the tune of the drums and music played in saxophone. The procession ends with the immersion of these idols in the sea.

After participating in the festival, now I have a feeling to go there every year to participate in the festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment