Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Traveling back in Time with the Historic Splendors of Delhi

The capital of India, not only boasts of a rich history but a culturally opulent heritage with awe inspiring monuments, historic forts and architectural delights perfectly arrested in the Mughal splendors.

Delhi, the very name itself gushes forth a myriad of emotions in the holidaymaker looking for some romance and the glimpse of the rich cultural heritage of India. And, I was no different. Planning for my Delhi holidays, I made sure to include both the delights of the old Delhi and the planned city of New Delhi- which will give me a flavor of both the present India and the old one. Recognized as the seat of power, Delhi is visited by holidaymakers across the world, and is connected to all the major cities of the word. Most of the major airlines have regular flights to Delhi and I made sure to book mine in advance so that I can make the most of the cheap flights to Delhi.

Travel Down the History: Visit the Historical Monuments:
My trip to Delhi would surely be incomplete without visiting the many of the historical monuments that are scattered in the city. I made sure to include the Red Fort or what is locally called the Lal Quila- the largest fort of the Mughal Empire. The Rang Mahal, Diwan-i-Aam, Diwan-I Khaash, the Nawab Khana and the hammams are a sight to behold. The Qutub Minar is another iconic monument that gives a glimpse of India’s history. There are steps to take you up the Qutub Minar and enjoy a bird’s eye view of the city. The Iron Pillar and the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque remains a popular draw with the holidaymakers.

There are excellent flight deals and airline tickets for cheap easily available which makes visiting this city a true pleasure. I wanted to have a look at the Persian styles mausoleum- the Humayun Tomb and it remains the first of its kind garden tomb with water channels and a manicured garden. The other popular draw Safdarjung's Tomb, Jama Masjid, Lodi gardens, Old fort and India gate were all included in my travel itinerary.

The Splendors of Colonial Architecture
Delhi trip would surely not be complete with enjoying a slice of the colonial architecture representing the splendors of British rule. The gothic architecture is well reflected in India Gate, St. James’s church and the Parliament House. The other popular draws were the Northern Ridge, Supreme Court, George V Memorial, Regal Building and the Rastrapathi Bhavan. I wanted to enjoy all these splendors and planned right at the time I was booked my cheap tickets to Delhi.

Eating Out and Shopping Pleasures
Food is an integral part of the holidays in India and Delhi is no different. You can enjoy the best of the North Indian cuisines. From the best of fine dining to the road side restaurants serving out finger licking delights, Delhi is sure to satiate all. I settled down for the Mughlai delights at Nizam’s and Karim’s. However, you will get everything from the Mc Donald’s, KFC, Chinese, Thai, Continental and even Arabic delights.

The website Fare Buzz helped me plan out my trip with the best information on amazing flight deals. It is best if you book your flights to Delhi well in advance as this ensures that you get airline tickets for cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment