Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A royal tour of Kingston

A reggae lover myself, I longed to see the native land of Bob Marley- the Messiah for reggae-rockers. So I checked out on the low fares to fly to Kingston, the capital of Jamaica. With nearly 29 airlines operating in and out of the Sangster Airport, there was a wide choice to buy flight tickets for cheap. In total 567 international flights to Kingston operate on a weekly basis.

Having alighted at the Norman Manley airport, I relaxed in royal style as my car pick-up from the Pegasus hotel sailed smoothly into the town. Catching a red PPV local taxi, I was ready to explore the land of the Jamaican rum.

Places to see in Kingston:

First, I set off on a trip to the Blue Mountains –the home of true Jamaican coffee. The spectacular trail led to Newcastle- a historic fort which now houses the training center for Jamaican defense. The breathtaking views coupled with a sip of the heavenly Blue Mountain brew from Mavis Bank Coffee Farm, made the trip unforgettable. Next we stepped into John Crow National Park, which stood a mile further on at Hard War Gap, to feast on true jungle beauty.

Back in town, I first set off to my Mecca- Bob Marley’s House and Museum which housed all his memorabilia. With wistful memories, I moved on to Devon House on Hope Road. I did a spot of shopping, eyeing the crafts and curios and sampling the delicious ice cream there.

Port Royal was my next stop to see the famous harbor and erstwhile sunken Pirate Capital popularized by the sea bandit Henry Morgan. Fort Charles with its silent canyon evoked nostalgic memories of Lord Nelson. The National Maritime Museum and the Archaeological and Historic Museum at Fort Charles displayed artifacts of the sunken city.

Now for some relaxing, I headed to Hellshire beach, thronged by tourists and locals alike.  I moved on to Lima Cay- an offshore virgin island ideal for yachting, skin-diving, swimming and sunbathing.

Shopping and Nightlife at Kingston:


I found Devon House as a shopper’s paradise with plethora of shops from Things Jamaican to Wassi Art Gallery. If you care for malls, go to the New Kingston Shopping Center or Constant Spring Shopping plaza.

I had my fill at Norma’s at Devon’s house and decided to try the Mayfair hotel for a charming dinner by the poolside. As for a sample of the Jamaican nightlife, I was guided to the Asylum Bar which was a true Jamaican joint. To enjoy the ambience of English pub head to Mayfair or Mingles. For all-nighters, Peppers is the place for you. For karaoke and Jazz, Grog Shop beckons with its convivial air and famous Friday night buffet.

Although I got cheap tickets to Kingston, my memories of this royal tour remain precious and deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment